What is Faqr?
- The literal meaning of Faqr is indigence and poverty. However, according to the Mystics it is the destination of life about which Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said the following;
اَلۡفَقۡرُ فَخۡرِیۡ وَالۡفَقۡرُ مِنِّی
Faqr is my pride and Faqr is from me.
- Certainly, Faqr is a remarkable inward rank and marvel. There is nothing comparable to it in the inward.
- Faqr is the eternal destiny of those people who abdicated all the luxuries of world and hereafter on the day of Divine covenant. Thus, they remained firmly devoted to the Almighty Allah only. Indeed, none of the charms and pleasures of universe could shake their steadfastness.
- Undoubtedly, Faqr is the ardent Divine Love.
- Faqr is the path which takes the slave of Allah to Allah.
- The outward aspect of Faqr is to adopt the virtues of Prophet Mohammad. Whereas the inward aspect is the Divine vision and union.
- Just like musk, the fragrance of Faqr cannot remain hidden. It manifests from the whole being of the Fakir with his each and every deed, which attracts people towards him.
- In the path of Faqr, accepting the Reality by gaining superficial knowledge and not by personal observation is infidelity. However, not believing the Reality after personal observation is also infidelity.
- Faqr has nothing to do with the genealogy. In fact, one cannot inherit AlFaqr.
How to Understand Faqr?
- Faqr is not complicated. If you want to understand Faqr go through the lives of the four Rashidun Caliphs (Rightly Guided Caliphs). Then Faqr will become easy on you.
The Most Elevated Spiritual Level
- Faqr is the most elevated spiritual level where a person becomes indifferent to all kinds of needs. He is only concerned about Allah’s will. Hence, he always adapts himself to fate destined to him by Allah. Moreover, he asks for nothing except the closeness of Allah and does not purport of anything other than Allah. At this point interference in Allah’s ordain and will is a sin to him. Indeed, he demands nothing from Allah except His Divine Self.
Types of Faqr
- For Chosen Faqr, most importantly one must free one’s inward from all the desires of this material world. There is a lot of difference between the chosen and the Compulsive Faqr. Later, is when someone adopts Faqr because of personal benefits. Upon trials, he becomes distressed, then turns his back and escapes. This kind of Faqr results in death of soul whereas the chosen Faqr enlivens the soul. The former is the source of disgrace and humiliation. While the latter brings such honour and power that the whole universe comes under the possession of the seeker. Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) called the chosen Faqr as his pride.
Significance of Faqr
- A believer cannot achieve the morals of Ali ibn Abi Talib and Khalid bin Waleed until he gains Faqr.
- If you want the sovereignty (of both worlds), then gain the treasure of Faqr first.
- A believer (Mumin) reaches the peak of Faqr when he reaches the level of ‘self-recognition’. Self-recognition is in fact Divinity!
- Courage in Faqr means that the seeker reaches Allah by surpassing all (inward and outward) obstacles. Certainly, the courage of a real man (seeker of Allah) can shatter the mountains.
- In Faqr, a person acquires the observation and knowledge of Allah collaterally.
- The greatest reward in the path of Faqr is Allah Himself.
Stages of Faqr
- There are three stages in Faqr;
- first stage is La Illaha لَا اِلٰہَ which means; ‘No one is to be worshipped’,
- second is ilAllahoo اِلَّا اللّٰہُ meaning ‘but only Allah’
- third is Mohammad-ur-Rasoolullah مُحَمَّدٌ رَّسُوْلُ اللّٰہَ which means Mohammad is the Messenger of Allah.
Faqr is a Spiritual Way
- Faqr is the way of spiritual experiences. A person gains the final level of certainty in this way only through personally observing Divinity.
- Faqr is bestowed in the Divine wrath and majesty rather than Divine compassion and beauty. Examples of the former are arduous livelihood, illness or similar trials in life.
- Allah has unveiled Himself only in Faqr.
- Faqr is the sacred self and countenance of Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him).
How to be Successful in Faqr?
- If you want to be successful in Faqr then follow the foot-steps of someone who has already excelled in this path.
- Faqr revolves around one pivot and that is the perfect and accomplished spiritual guide. Thus, one who focuses all his attention on this pivot acquires Faqr.
- Faqr is the journey of Divine secrets. When seeker reaches the apex of this path, he himself becomes the bearer of Faqr.
- In Faqr, every seeker is dealt differently and is passed through different spiritual stations based on his own desire and faith.
- One who comprehends the outward meaning of Faqr, inwardly reaches its core expeditiously. Hence it is important to have both outward and inward knowledge of Faqr. As a matter of fact, Faqr could be misleading without gaining its knowledge.
- In Faqr, the annihilation in the spiritual guide, annihilation in the Holy Prophet and annihilation in Allah, in fact refers to;
وَاعْتَصِمُوْ بِِحَبْلِ اللّٰہِ
Meaning: Hold firmly to the rope of Allah. (al-Imran 103). Therefore, one should firmly hold on to this rope to excel in Faqr.
- In the way of Faqr, the intention of the believer is amplified every day.
Read further detail about Sultan ul Ashiqeen’s teachings on AlFaqr in his books. Click the links below to read or download his books for free;