The mosque is highly valued in Islam because it is known as a gathering place, centre and axis for Muslims. When the Holy Prophet (pbuh) migrated from Mecca to Madina, the first thing he did was to build the Quba Mosque. This is the importance of mosque.
This was the time when there were very few Muslims. They only relied on Allah. They left their homes and possessions in Mecca and migrated towards Medina with their master and lord of all the worlds, Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). There was not even a slight falter in their words and actions. This was because these Companions had great spiritual guidance from the Holy Prophet (pbuh). It is not possible for an ordinary person to take such a bold and fearless step without great spiritual guidance.
The caravan of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) had not yet reached Medina when the Holy Prophet (pbuh) intended to build a mosque. The companions of Holy Prophet (pbuh) enthusiastically carried out the command of their master and spiritual guide without any fear and grief.
Important Points to Note
Two things are clear from this. The first thing is to build and inhabit a mosque whenever a Muslim migrates. The second thing that is very important. He should be sincere with good intentions and steadfast more than his physical resources to carry out the commands of Allah Almighty.
Allah Almighty has revealed many verses about the virtue of the mosque.
The Virtues of Mosques in light of the Quran
- And We urged Ibrahim and Isma‘il (Abraham and Ishmael): ‘Purify (and cleanse) My House for those who circumambulate it and those who go into retreat and those who kneel down and prostrate themselves.’ [2:125] Al-Baqarah
- Only he who believes in Allah and the Last Day and establishes Prayer and pays Zakat (the Alms-due) and who fears none but Allah can maintain and frequent the mosques of Allah. So they alone are expected to become the rightly-guided. [9:18] Al-Tawbah
- Those (believers) who had the upper hand in their matter said: ‘We shall certainly build a mosque (at their door so that the believers may pray therein, and acquire special bounty by obtaining spiritual nearness to the people of the cave).’ [18:21] Al-Kahf
- (O Beloved!) Never stand in this (building which has been built in the name of a mosque). But the mosque which has been, from the very first day, founded on the fear of Allah has greater right to be honoured with your standing in it. There are people in it who love to remain purified (both physically and spiritually), and Allah loves those who commit themselves to purity. [9:108] Al-Tawbah
- And who is more unjust than he who forbids remembering Allah’s Name in His mosques and strives to desolate them? It was not proper for them to enter the mosques but fearing (Allah). For them is disgrace in this world, and (also) there is a dreadful torment for them in the Hereafter. [2:114] Al-Baqarah
- And that mosques are (specified) for Allah alone. So never worship anyone else besides Allah. [72:18] Al-Jinn
The Importance of the Mosque in the Light of Hadiths
The Holy Prophet (pbuh) has promised many good tidings and rewards for the ones who construct and develop mosques.
- The Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever builds a mosque even a size of eagles’ nest (if someone contributes even a little for construction of a mosque) then Allah will build a house for him in Paradise. (This hadith has been narrated by Ibn Majah and Ibn Khuzayma)
- Uthman ibn Affan narrated that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever builds a mosque for Allah’s will, then Allah will make his house in Paradise.” (This hadith is unanimously agreed upon and the words mentioned are from Sahih Muslim.)
- Anas ibn Malik narrated that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever builds a small or big mosque for Allah’s will, then Allah will make a house for him in Paradise.” (This hadith has been narrated by Al-Tirmidhi and Abu Ya’la)
- Abu Qarsafa relates that he heard the Holy Prophet (pbuh) saying: “Build mosques and keep them clean. Whoever builds a mosque for Allah’s will, Allah will make his house in Paradise.” A man asked: “O Messenger of Allah! What do you think about the mosques that are built along the way? ” The Prophet (pbuh) said: “Yes (same applies to them) and sweeping and cleaning them of dust and dirt is indeed arranging for dowry of the black-eye houri.”
- Abu Hurairah relates that the Prophet (pbuh) said: “Mosques are the most liked places in cities by Allah and the markets are most disliked places.” (This Hadith has been narrated by Muslim ibn al-Hajjaj, Ahmed ibn Hanbal, Ibn Khuzayma and Ibn Hibban.)
- Aisha bint Abi Bakr narrates that the Prophet (pbuh) ordered to build mosques in the streets and keep them clean and fragrant. (This hadith has been narrated by Ahmed ibn Hanbal, Abu Dawood, Al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Majah.)
- It is stated by Abu Sa’id al-Khudri in a tradition that the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said: Be a witness of the faith of a person who is accustomed to frequent visits to mosque. Allah says (interpretation of the meaning): “The mosques of Allah are inhabited only by those who believe in Allah and the Last Day.” (This hadith was narrated by Ahmed ibn Hanbal and Al-Tirmidhi)
- Abu Sa’id al-Khudri says that the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: “Whoever likes the mosque, Allah Almighty likes him.” (This hadith has been narrated by Al-Tabarani.)
Prophet Mohammad Build the Masjid First
The Prophet (pbuh) preferred to build the masjid (house of Allah) than the construction of his house on his arrival to Madina.
When the Holy Prophet (pbuh) reached Madina, every tribe of Ansar insisted to host the Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). But the Holy Prophet (pbuh) said: “Leave my she-camel. She is appointed from Allah.” So the camel sat down at a place. This place belonged to two orphans named Sahal and Sohail. The Holy Prophet (pbuh) bought the place from these children and built Al-Masjid an-Nabwi.
Reward of Building a Mosque
It is clear now that the building and inhabiting mosques in various places was so dear to the Holy Prophet (pbuh). He had also ordered the delegations that came to visit him to build mosques as well. This was also the motto of his Companions. That is why the Holy Prophet (pbuh) gave the good news of Paradise to the ones who build masjid.
It is the grandness of the Holy Prophet (pbuh) that he announced great rewards for his Ummah even for a small deed. Like whoever builds a mosque, not only Allah will grant house in Jannah but the house in Firdaws (The Highest Gardens of Paradise). This also makes it clear that if one lays a single brick or builds a small mosque, then there is good news for him in Jannah for a whole house.
King Harun al-Rashid And A Poor Man
There is a tradition that King Harun al-Rashid intended to build a mosque and said that he would build it himself. A poor man passed by and expressed his heartfelt wish to the king that I have some bricks and you should include them in the construction of the mosque so that my share would also be included. The king refused the proposal that he will build the mosque. However, the poor man really wanted to contribute to the construction of the mosque to please Allah.
He picked up the bricks and walked off. On the way, he deliberately fell at the place where the other bricks were stored that the king had ordered. In this way, he mixed his bricks in the stock and went away. During the construction, the king had a dream that he saw two identical palaces in heaven. The king asked the angels, “Whose are these?” The angels replied, “One for building your mosque and one for such and such a person.” The king asked why this man’s house was built in heaven. The angels replied that he had added a few bricks to the construction of the house of Allah (mosque) in this way.
Sarwari Qadri Order Guides Have Always Followed the Sunnah
After the Companions, the Perfect Fakirs and especially the Guides of Sarwari Qadri Order have been strictly adhering to the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). They migrated in Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (pbuh). After migration, they first built mosques. And instead of building the houses of Allah Almighty individually, they invited people to join them. Since the Perfect Fakirs are the trustees and protectors of the Mohammadan Faqr which is the exact reality of Islam.
Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo says about the authority of Perfect Fakirs as:
“Know! Arif-e-Kamil Qadri (Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guide) is Omnipotent and Omnipresent.” (Risala Roohi Sharif- English Translation And Exegesis with Persian Text)
Why The Perfect Fakir Invites The Public to Take Part in Construction of Mosque?
Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guide can do everything in the blink of an eye. This is because the power of the effect of his Spiritual Sight that he can turn clay into gold. Still he invites everyone; special and ordinary; to join him despite having complete control and authority.
The reason for this is that Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guide is exactly on the sacred footsteps of Prophet Mohammad (pbuh). He invites everyone to Faqr (Sufism), Ma’rifa (gnosis of Allah), Divine vision of Allah and Mohammadan Assembly. Because without it there is no reality of this world and the hereafter. Sultan-ul-Arifeen Sultan Bahoo says:
کوڑا تخت دنیا دا باھوؒ، تے فقر سچی شاھی ھُو
This means that whatever position or rank, a person reaches in the world, is useless and futile in sight of Allah without Faqr (Sufism).
Now it has become clear that there is no value of anything except Faqr (Sufism). Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guide knows this all. Therefore, being exactly on the sacred footsteps of the Holy Prophet (pbuh), he is the greatest benefactor, very caring and loving about the Humanity. Therefore, like a kind and compassionate teacher and guide, he tries all his life to invite mankind on the path of Faqr (Sufism) in various ways. He suffers from the same grief of the Ummah of which most people are unaware. Only a few of chosen ones of Allah are aware of this fact.
Construction Of Mosques As Priority of Sarwari Qadri Guides
The construction of mosques is the first priority of Sarwari Qadri Spiritual Guide. He follows this Sunnah in all circumstances even if he has to go through thousands of obstacles and difficulties. Whether one stands with him or not. But this is very kindness of Perfect Spiritual Guide that he prefers to do this work collectively rather than individually. He invites everyone to join physically, financially, mentally and technically.
The Sarwari Qadri Murshid prays to Allah who contributes in the construction of mosque as: “O Allah! This servant of yours has spent his money for the construction of your house for your pleasure. Reward him with your closeness.”
Even if the desire of this person is to get a place and status in this world and the hereafter, the Perfect Fakir tries his best that he leaves everything else and comes only to Faqr (Sufism), Divine proximity and vision. And if one desires to get the wealth of this world in return, the Perfect Fakir gives him a reward that is unparalleled at appropriate time.
A Story of a Saint and His Follower
There is also a story about a saint who was inviting people to spend their wealth even a rupee in the construction of a masjid. There was a respected follower of this saint. He said, “Murshid! Please order me. I will pay all the expenses for the construction of the mosque. I do not like this collecting money from the people.”
The saint looked at the nearby mound of clay and said, “Look, the whole mound has turned to gold. This is the authority of Fakir. I am collecting every single penny from them for their good so that I can justify their mercy in the court of Allah. ”
The Perfect Fakir adopts many ways to invite mankind towards Allah. So that everyone could achieve their purpose of life in this world. This is the reason the Perfect Fakirs prefer to work collectively rather than individually.